Friday, September 24, 2010

K..SOLO'S INTERVIEW

I VOWED TO STOP SINGING WHEN DAGRIN DIED……K solo.
The beats production industry has improved a lot with mighty names like ksolo, terry g and the likes of them.  In this interview with Sunkanmi Ogunade, ksolo reveals the reasons why he decided to venture into music productions with the pains and gains inclusive.
How did you commence the music dream?
I started singing before producing. It all started from the church. Music has been a part of me since when I was a child and singing was my first love but music production brought me fame and money.
When did you start music production?
I clocked a decade in the industry last year, almost eleven years now.
What made you take the decision to go into music production?
it was annoyance because I can’t call it frustration, singing was not paying my bills, it did not turn out the way I planned, so I started music production.
Away from you now, what are your views about Nigeria music industry
As far as music is concerned in Nigeria, there is no industry oh. Industry is too far, take music production for example; it is here in Nigeria that songs are banned. They banned igboro ti daru by klever j, shayo by bigiano, enter the place by tuface. They are not supposed to ban songs; such does not occur abroad, there are time belts and channels of play for such songs. There are no laws or body guiding what to and not to produce, for instance, if an artist comes to me and say he wants me to produce shake your bottom, shake your bum bum, I can’t say no I won’t produce it because I know there is time and channel of play. We need a body, a proper structure in the Nigeria music industry? Gbagbe e o, everybody is just on the field making money. Look at it from Dagrin’s angle, the guy is dead now. You read it in papers and hear it on radio and see it on TV, to commiserate with Dagrin’s family, n5000 is the gate fee, n10000 for a minute silence for Dagrin, we have exclusives on Dagrin in our papers, t-shirts are being printed and sold for as little as n1000, lot of things designed with Dagrin’s images without any royalty being paid to his family, it doesn’t happen where there are proper structures like the us even south Africa. He is dead now, his works are money-spinning ventures for some people, and they are reaping from where they did not sow
What do you think is the solution?
 Like I said, we need proper sanitization and an organized structure, established and budding artistes need orientation and re-orientation. They need to know why they are here and what they are here for. So many people are in this industry just to exploit readymade stars and they go about boasting’’ I made you, I got you shows’’. People say what they can’t do; they promise what is not within their reach.
For the new acts, I still believe doing your thing yourself at least to an extent, if you can’t get a proper label to sign you, Endeavour to push yourself till you re noticed. I don’t blame young guys who engage in yahoo to make money to promote themselves, a lot of people say they are doing talent hunt, ostensibly, what they are only doing is just talents’ exploitation because they are not discovering anything. Lots of talents are wasting away, so they should help themselves. One of my new acts was a sales rep with Mama Cass, you can’t imagine what was happening to him while there; let them do whatever they want to get themselves out since nobody is ready to discover real talents.

Tell us about Igberaga Records
An Igberaga record is now referred to as ksolo incorporated music (Kim). Music industry in Nigeria especially Lagos is dominated by the Yoruba’s and it is affecting the industry. The word Igberaga means pride and that has been breeding lots controversies. I actually meant black pride, the pride of Obama but they made me repeat myself over and over and I am tired of that. Since we are building an international brand, I decided to use Kim.

How many artistes are on Kim?
 I already signed clever j and some other artistes including Timaya. I have two new acts that I am pushing now, slimmz and patoranking (pato the reggae king). In few months, they works will be hitting the market soon.

What stands Kim out from other labels?
: I am not building my brand for Nigeria alone, I tutor my acts on this music business treat them like my siblings, I advise them to learn from mistakes of others and theirs and I always tell them to be themselves, they shouldn’t bite take more than they can chew and stay focused.
Women are smart, when they see you go up, they just want to stay. The old ones started it and passed it unto the younger ones, these young ones are tender- hearted, and they are ready to listen and learn and follow instructions. This goes to other acts too; if you want to succeed, don’t let women get in your head. Be focused!

Advice to young producers
Don’t run after names, names won’t do you any good; I make sure I respect all artistes equally; to me they are all stars. I even receive calls that I don’t have levels; I record every tom, dick and harry. I ran after Paul play, but he didn’t give me credit, I did muma gees kade, I did not get any hype.
Nurture new acts because they are the stars of tomorrow. Look at sosick and Dagrin, Dagrin brought sossick fame and I pray he has another artiste to revive his name like him. For me, new acts are it. This is my ministry and I won’t let anyone ruin it for me.

Will you still go back to singing?
 I vowed to stop singing when Dagrin died. I see music as work, a spiritual song, it is god saying amen. Look at callabo by Dee bee, gaga by stereo man, koni koni love by klever jay and ekwe. God has given me a voice through production, so i don’t want to sing anymore. Production has made me a star maker and I am fulfilled. I brought Timaya to Lagos from a talent hunt show in port-Harcourt, he is supposed to win but on the stage of the final, his voice was gone. So I brought him to Lagos and there he is today. I write songs for them, I put them through, do hype for their work, I think that is ok.

Apart from working in the studio
: I also do other intellectual things. I am working on an award. It cut across all in entertainment and it is once in a lifetime thing. You get it once in a lifetime.

In your own opinion, what does a good artiste needs to move up to stardom?
An artiste needs a good producer no matter how good he or she is. People who understand music and the music business. There are a lot of junk and wack producers. People often say to me, ksolo why don’t you do some slows and rnb, I tell them am ok with what I do.  

Who is ksolo?
I am Solomon oyeniyi; basically I don’t want to have an identity for myself. I just want people to know me, everything that happens to me shapes me, I learnt from my mistakes. I make sure I affect people’s life and mine too, everyday. I smile a lot because I notice I affect people with that. I do things as they come. I just do what god wants me to do. I didn’t set out to do music. I read elect-elect from federal polytechnic ilaro and see where I am today, music has made me. I am a father, husband, succor and comforter to people now because of music, I thank god for him. I don’t even like it when people come to me and ask where I see myself in some couple of years, I don’t own my life! God does. So I live each day as it comes, giving glory to his name at the end.

You sound spiritual, people say you smoke and stuffs
(Laughs). People say anything they want to especially when you are a celeb. I don’t smoke neither do I drink. I don’t go clubbing and you will hardly see me attend parties. I like quiet and stress free life. They even say it to the extent of influencing younger ones too. I don’t believe in influence, you do what you choose to, nobody can force a man to do what he would not.
                                                                                         
How fashionable is ksolo, rate yourself 1-100.
I will say 80. I always like looking good especially when I am going to church. I dress extra carefully but I like being myself. Until people started saying I like this design or that, I am not a label freak. I just wear what makes me look good. I choose 80 because I am fashionable o, there is nothing in vogue that I don’t have. I like exploring things, phones and the likes, I just want to know what is new and what makes it different.

You prefer native attires, why?
Yes, maybe because I have a friend that designs, yomicasual, he made me like it anyway.

Did you train terry g?
 Yes o, I trained terry-g like these my boys you know, tee-sparks, snoocie, ojemba and others. I even did the first version of khemistry’s shake your body and I introduced terry-g to do the second version which she promoted.
My productions have taken me places, these people (the new acts) have taken me outside Naijas, I got a call to come over to Texas sometimes ago, I asked how they know me, they said through my works.
I later thought about it and made a promise to myself that I will always do the best of productions. It’s my world u know.
                               



No comments:

Post a Comment